Sunday, April 28, 2013

C4T 4

April 14, 2013

August 10, 2012
Lisa Thurmann Blog Post
Yesterday, with the support of SGEI and Kean University, where I work, I hosted edcamp Common Core. The idea was to gather NJ educators to discuss a common theme.
Here’s what I heard from attendees in the morning before we shared opening remarks in the auditorium:
Why weren’t the sessions posted ahead of time?
Where are the experts?
I did not come prepared to talk.
I just came to listen.
Don’t you have any handouts for us?
Am I going to learn anything?

I was nervous for a bit in the morning before the session board filled. Thank goodness Ann Oro did such a good job at settling the nerves of some of the attendees and even got some of them to post sessions.
Once we all got into the auditorium I went over some basic notes on the facility and then reviewed the concepts behind an unconference. I also went over the schedule with them so that they could see what types of discussions were going to occur and possibly even add an idea of their own on the way up to the first sessions.

I ended with these rules for the day:
1. Listen. Everyone has something to contribute.
2. Participate. You have something to add to the conversation.
3. Think with your feet.
4. Have a good time.

My Comment:
Hello Lisa. My name is Chelsea Strong and I am a student at The University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading this post. Although I am not a teacher yet I will take what you have mentioned not only in this post but others also. I want to know what you mean by "think with your feet?" Thanks for sharing! Chelsea Strong

May 17, 2012
April 28, 2013

Lisa Thurman blog post
Today I had the pleasure of presenting to a group of faculty/staff from Fairleigh Dickinson University in NJ. I promised them that I would post the slidedeck and resources while at Starbucks soaking up wifi in-between meetings. Unfortunately, I could not get to a Starbucks, but I was able to find a Panera and write the post. I had originally presented this information at WETech Symposium back in March. Using this blog post, I gathered stories from educators from around NJ regarding how they were using technology in their schools.
My Comment:
Hello my name is Chelsea Strong and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Dr. Strange EDM 310 class. Before I started this class I never knew technology had become this big in school. You have shared a ton of information in this post that i can use when i become a teacher. Thanks so much!

May 15, 2012
Lisa Thurman blog post

On May 2, 2012 Google hosted its first conference using Google Hangouts On Air. During the 8-hour conference, there were over 40 presentations on everything from robotics to 1:1 initiatives to using Google Apps in schools. The presenters all donated their time to try this new way to present, interact and archive professional development. I have supported this form of PD over the last few years as I truly appreciate the archiving so that educators can go back at any time and watch again. Other organizations have been practicing this for a couple of years including Classroom 2.0 Live and The Global Education Conference. Speaking of professional development. Did you read the article about the possible discontinuation of the 100 hours in NJ? I’m concerned about how the new standards for professional development are going to be determined in NJ. Though I strongly believe that teacher assessment should be driven by evaluations and student achievement gains, I also believe that there has to be a standardized directive from the administration on how much and what type of PD teachers should participate in. What are your thoughts and concerns on requiring professional development hours for educators? How should the hours be counted? Who should determine what type of sessions are attended?

My comment:
I agree with the comment above. Smart Boards are also great going along with ipads and powerbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment