Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blog Post 3

Peer Editing
Peer editing is a hard thing to do because sometimes people or our peers have a tendency to take things very personal and they are offended by your remarks and comments. Personally I have never thought of peer editing as making suggestions and complimenting as in the video What is Peer Editing and Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial. To me, the idea of complimenting them first instead of telling them what they did wrong brightens up the whole comment. The suggestions should come after to the compliments so make sure they are specific. I think peer editing is great because it gives you a point of view from a student instead of always a teacher.
In the video Writing Peer Review TOP 10 Mistakes is how I feel when I am peer editing someones paper or they are peer editing mine. I feel like I am being rushed, told I am doing wrong, I cant do it, or all the above when my peer is just trying to help me.

Technology in Special Education
The video Technology in Special Education is amazing. There are so many children in the world that want to be normal, talk and communicate just like everyone else but they cant. That is why we have ipads, ipods, computers, smart boards, etc.
Since I am going into special education all the technology stuff excites me. Not only am I getting to work with precious special needs children I am also getting to learn with them on how all the technology works with whatever the case might be. I totally agree with technology for special needs children, because it betters the child and helps them to learn more and do better.

Apps
My special education app that i picked was this:
First Words Feeling app for Ipad
The reason I picked this app was because I think it could easliy work with any special needs child. This app is all about learning basic words, how to put them together, and how to say them. I think this would benefit a lot of children and to help them start off small and on their level.
The video Harness you Students' Digital Smarts everything is so true. Not only do different children learn in different ways but they also need to know how to do stuff on their own. This video explains everything. Like the teacher said in the video, children get so bored with just a pencil and piece of paper. Stick a computer in front of them and teach them how to blog, link stuff, insert this and that, then they will spend hours on the computer versus a pencil and paper and they will get more done.

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea,
    First, I love that you are going to be a special needs teacher; not many people have the love and kindness it takes to teach special needs children. I agree that complimenting first in a peer review creates a positive focus and a less hostile "environment" between the reviewer and classmate. Consequently, the classmate may be less defensive and more open to the suggestions and corrections that follow. I also agree that in the first steps of writing, it is better to have a paper edited by a peer than by a teacher. Doing so reduces errors and ultimately saves the teacher precious time needed to evaluate a paper.

    Suggestion
    I suggest you give a little more detail to your comments. For example you noted, "Since I am going into special education all the technology stuff excites me.” What kind of "stuff" were you referencing? Also, you wrote, “The video, 'Technology in Special Education', is amazing”. In what way was the video amazing?

    Correction
    “The suggestions should come to after compliments so make sure they are specific.” This sentence is confusing and detracts from your work; I advice removing it completely. “In the video Writing Peer Review TOP 10 Mistakes is how I feel when I am peer editing someones paper or they are peer editing mine. I feel like I am being rushed, told I am doing wrong, I cant do it, or all the above when my peer is just trying to help me.” There should be a comma after the title. There should be an apostrophe in the word someone’s and in the word can’t. Be aware the pronoun "i" should be always capitalized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea,
    I enjoyed reading your blog, I think your points were pretty head on. You provided pictures and you did your links correctly. I agree that a paper should be corrected first by a peer rather than a teacher. There are a view grammatical mistakes and I feel like you could have gave a little more detail. Overall i think it was a pretty good post.
    Thanks Jordan

    ReplyDelete